English, Writing, and Professional Communications
B.A. in English with a Creative Writing Concentration (120 hours)
All students in the major share a common core of literature and writing courses, but the program allows students to concentrate in one of three areas:
The B.A. in English with a Literature Concentration, which focuses on literature and the intellectual skills of reading and understanding literary and other texts.
The B.A. in English with a Creative Writing Concentration, which focuses upon writing and the creation of literary and other texts.
The B.A. in English with a Communications Concentration, which focuses on writing for business, media, and other professional contexts.
The following courses are required for a baccalaureate degree with a Creative Writing Concentration:
• EWPC 250 Introduction to Literary Studies
• EWPC 320 The History and Study of the English Language
• EWPC 325 The Literary Essay
• EWPC 499 Senior Seminar
• EWPC 235 Introduction to Creative Writing
• EWPC 255 Foundations of Western Literature
• EWPC 265 British Literature
• EWPC 275 American Literature
• EWPC 310 Shakespeare
• EWPC 410 Editing
• EWPC 435 Advanced Creative Writing
Two Courses from the Following
• EWPC 373 American Cinema
• EWPC 460 The Drama
• EWPC 440 20th Century Poetry
• EWPC 450 The Novel
• Three upper-level courses in English
Note: All students must receive a 3.0 or higher GPA in their upper-level major courses to be eligible to receive an English degree.
Program Director: Christopher Buczinsky
Telephone: (219) 473-4250
FAX: (219) 473-4259