The Office of Enrollment Management      

International Student FAQ's

How can I get information about CCSJ or how can I apply?
You can get information about CCSJ at our website You can also apply to the college by using the website. We do not charge an application fee for the application.

Can I send my transcripts to your institution?

No. CCSJ does not evaluate international transcripts. All international secondary and post-secondary transcripts must be sent to one of the two evaluation companies that CCSJ uses, Educational Credential Evaluators or World Education Services. Be aware that it can take up to five weeks for transcripts to be evaluated.

Can I take classes if I am on another visa other than F?
Depending on the type of visa you are on would determine if you are eligible to take classes at CCSJ. Unfortunately, CCSJ are unable to accept students who are on a J or M visa. If you are on a B visa for visitors, you will not be able to take classes until your status has been changed by USCIS. In order to do that, you will need to complete Form I-539 in order to change your status, if you are currently in the United States and have been accepted to CCSJ and received your I-20 form. However, you may be denied a change of status if USCIS determines that you had a “preconceived intent” to student in the United States while on another visa or if you did not file the paperwork in a timely manner. If you are on an M visa, you will not be able to change your status while in the United States.
Calumet College of St. Joseph is NOT LIABLE for any decision that is made by USCIS with regards to your F-1. If you have any questions on why your F-1 visa was denied, please contact USCIS.

Are students required to take the TOEFL test?

Yes, students are required to take the TOEFL test if you are from a country that its native and government recognized language is not English. However, if you are from a TOEFL exempt country, you are not required to take the test. Here is a list of TOEFL exempt countries. Our TOEFL test code is 1776. If you have taken at least 12 transferrable credit hours at an accredited institution in the United States and one of your courses is an English Composition course, you will not need to take the TOEFL test.

When should I begin to send my paperwork?
It is a good idea to start turning in all of your paperwork in at least six to eight months in advance in order for an admissions decision to be made and your I-20 to be sent in a reasonable amount of time to your home. If you turn your paperwork in after the deadline, your application may be deferred to the next semester.  We ask that international students apply for the Fall or Spring semesters due to limited class availability for the Summer semesters.
Here are the deadline dates:

Application Deadline*
                                                    I-20 Final Date**

Fall semester-July 15                                                     Fall semester-August 10
Spring semester-November 15                                      Spring semester-December 15
*Application, Evaluated transcripts                            **These are the last dates that any I-20’s 
TOEFL test scores (if needed), Financial                          will be mailed out.    

Do you require ACT or SAT scores?

We do not require ACT or SAT scores for admission to CCSJ. However, if you are looking for academic scholarships, it is required for students to take either the ACT or SAT test. If you are looking to possibly play a sport, the ACT or SAT test will be required for the NAIA Clearinghouse.

Are there scholarships available for international students?

Yes, there are academic scholarships and athletic grants available for international students.

Am I required to purchase health insurance
We do not require international student to have health insurance. It is highly recommended that international students purchase health insurance just in case you happen to get ill.

Does your school offer an Intensive English Language program?

We do not offer an Intensive English Language program at CCSJ. Here is a list of institutions that offer Intensive English Language Programs within the Chicagoland/Northwest Indiana area. Once you have successfully completed their Intensive English Language Programs, you will have the opportunity to re-apply for admission to Calumet College of St. Joseph. Please contact each institution regarding their admissions requirements for that program.

I am a dual citizen of the United States and another country. How should I go about the admissions process
You would still go through the same procedures with the admissions process; however, you may be able to qualify for financial aid through the United States government. In addition, if you completed your schooling in a non-TOEFL exempt country, you will be required to take the TOEFL test as well as having the transcripts evaluated by one of the two evaluation companies that we use.

If I get into trouble while at CCSJ (academically or criminally), can my visa be revoked?

If you are suspended by the institution academically (meaning not maintaining at least a 2.0 GPA), your visa will be terminated and you will have thirty days to leave the country.
If you are charged with a crime, your visa may or may not be revoked, depending on the nature of the crime. CCSJ WILL NOT be able to represent you in court.

What do I need to do in order to be in good standing with my F-1 visa at CCSJ?

You must be making “normal progress” towards completing a course of study. What this means is that you will need to maintain at least a 2.0 GPA and be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours during the Fall and Spring semesters. If you are placed on academic probation, you will have one semester to be taken off of probation. If you are placed on suspension or have a reduction of course load while on probation, you will be in violation of your visa and it will be terminated.

What age am I considered an adult in Indiana?

You are considered a legal adult at the age of eighteen in the State of Indiana. However, you must be the legal age of twenty-one (21) in order to consume alcoholic beverages in the United States.

Am I allowed to go back to my home country during semester and summer breaks?

You are allowed to go back to your home country during school breaks. You must have either the Primary Designated Student Officer (PDSO) or the Designated Student Officer (DSO) sign off on your I-20 in order for you to leave the country. If you stay longer than five months in your home country during a break, you will have to file for a new visa. If you changed your visa to an F-1 while in the US, be aware that you may not be able to travel outside the US due to your previous visa status.

Does CCSJ offer an on-campus employment for international students?

Unfortunately, we do not offer any on-campus employment for international students.

Am I eligible to compete in any on any of your athletic teams?

International students have the opportunity to compete in CCSJ athletics. Please contact the individual coach for the sport that you are interested in. Beginning for the 2011-2012 school year, all new and transfer students-athletes will be required to complete the NAIA Clearinghouse form in order to be eligible to compete in CCSJ Athletics. The cost is $95 U.S. dollars for International Students.

Live Chat

Admissions Resources

Admissions Requirements

Cost of Attendance

Upon Arrival in the U.S.

CCSJ International Scholarships





Admissions Home Page

Contact Information Office of Enrollment Management

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday:
8:30 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Wednesday: 8:30 A.M. - 7:00 P.M.
Saturdays: 9:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M.

Room: 116
Telephone: (219) 473-4215 (Indiana)
                      (773) 721-0202, Ext. 215 (Illinois)
                      1-877-700-9100 (Toll Free)
FAX: (219) 473-4336