Denying Jesus at McDonalds

FZ2index

I’m at the dealership for an oil change.  My car has a lot of miles so I am not surprised that it needs some work.  I have a few hours to kill.  I’m hungry and decide to walk up the street to a local McDonalds.  I just missed the cut off time for breakfast so I decide to order a Big Mac meal.  At 10:45am.  My arteries already are worried.

As I wait, a person behind me who I hadn’t noticed mumbles, “Excuse me, sir.  Can you buy me something to eat?”  I turn around and meet an older woman who has seen better days.  I think for a moment, wanting to refuse, but politely ask her what she would like to eat.  “A Big Mac and Coke.”  I nod, return to the counter, and order her meal.  The worker hands me my meal and I give her the receipt with her order number.  I smile half-heartedly and walk to a booth to eat.  I am surprised to find her following and about to sit down with me.  I think that she wants my meal so I tell her that her order is not ready and she will have to pick it up at the counter.  She says “OK” and goes to pick it up.  I pull out my notebook and papers and place them on the table to show that I don’t wish to be bothered further.  She sits elsewhere.  I know that she will be asking me for bus fare soon.  She does, I decline.  I don’t usually carry cash or coins.  I finish my meal, look out the window for awhile, and eventually leave without saying another word to her.

I already know that I have denied Christ.  I bought her a meal but did not respect her humanity.  I did not treat her as a woman, made in God’s image, who might be desiring a small human connection.  Yes, she can tell that I’m an easy target.   If she’s savvy,  she will probably tell me about her situation, bring out my pity, and then ask for more than food and bus fare.  That’s what I would do if I were her.  One must survive.

But that shouldn’t matter.  I don’t know what she would’ve said.  I didn’t want to know.  I just wanted to be left alone to gobble down my Big Mac meal.  I didn’t want to be inconvenienced by anyone, let alone her.

That’s how I denied Christ at McDonalds.

“If we endure, we will also reign with [Her]; If we deny [Her], [She] also will deny us.” 2 Tim 2:12

Stations-4-peter-7