Department: Academic Advising
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt, Benefits Eligible
Reports to: Asst. VP of Advising & Registration
Application Deadline: Position Open Until Filled
The Academic Advisor is responsible for interacting with students and assisting them in achieving desired student learning outcomes. The Academic Advisor assures students remain on track with their educational goals and have the appropriate tools at their disposal to be successful. The Academic Advisor will assist with various functions such as transcript release, transfer articulation agreements, and degree verification. The Academic Advisor’s responsibilities include providing assistance and managing of the grade report process. They become an integral part of the student’s campus life at CCSJ.
- Advising students regarding traditional academic programs, working closely with department chairs in their areas.
- Providing error-free advice and scheduling suggestions to achieve students’ goals.
- Working with Advisors/Career Counselors to provide career options and career programming for students in specific majors.
- Registering students for classes.
- Directing students to learning opportunities, e.g., Honors, Intersession, Guatemala, internships, practicums, CPA.
- Alerting the Director and VPAA of potential problems and recommending solutions.
- Auditing files to determine that students are on track, identifying problems, and working with students to resolve them.
- Involving others as appropriate in the advising process.
- Referring students appropriately to other services (Financial Aid, Student Support Services, Counseling, Disability Services, Library) as needed.
- Auditing files to determine eligibility for graduation and as requested to identify trends and problems.
- Assisting Director of Advising on transfer and articulation agreement issues.
- Contributing to solutions regarding transfer and articulation agreement issues.
- Monitoring progress and retention of students for assigned disciplines.
- Contact students to address retention alert issues with attendance, submitting work, or grades.
- Bachelor’s degree (Degree in Student Affairs, Advising, Counseling, or related field preferred)
- Proficiency with computer application programs
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Ability to analyze and interpret data
- Excellent organizational skills
- High level of interpersonal skills including ability to work with diverse groups
- Spanish language skills
- Previous experience with academic advising at the postsecondary level
- Transfer evaluation or transfer articulation experience
- Cover Letter
CCSJ is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of typically underrepresented groups to apply. Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to the mission of CCSJ and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Calumet College of St. Joseph is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States, verification of education/credentials, and a background check.
For More Information, Please Contact:
Phone: (219) 473-4328