Director, Academic Advising
Department: Academic Affairs
Status: Full-time, Exempt, Benefits Eligible
Reports to: Vice President for Academic Affairs
Application Deadline: Position Open Until Filled
The Director of Academic Advising oversees campus academic advising initiatives and the Advising Department. This position is charged with the coordination, oversight, and assessment of undergraduate advising programs and practices in order to ensure quality academic advising for all students. The Director will develop and implement a comprehensive plan for academic advising grounded in best practices and research in advising, retention, and student success. The Director oversees a staff of two academic advisors.
- Play a key role in shaping and executing the College’s overall retention and student success strategies
- Guide students in selecting programs of study based on their career goals, and courses appropriate to attain those goals
- Serve as a student advocate and faculty advocate
- Oversees schedule of courses for all traditional college programs
- Implement changes through training for academic advising department
- Manage budget for the Academic Advising Department
- Offer limited personal counseling or provide referrals as warranted
- Participate in the evaluation of entrance examinations for new students and make appropriate recommendations based on the evaluation
- Advise the VPAA’s office on academic matters such as canceled classes, schedule changes, student problems with faculty members, etc.
- Work with VPAA to oversee SAP process.
- Collaborate with the Registrar on all issues related to registration and record-keeping
- Master’s degree in Student Personnel, Counseling or related field
- 3-5 years of experience in an advising or other related setting in higher education
- Strong organizational skills, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of management practices including hiring, performance management, and continuous improvement practices
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written), interpersonal and relationship skills
- Cover Letter
CCSJ is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of typically underrepresented groups to apply. Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to the mission of CCSJ and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Calumet College of St. Joseph is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States, verification of education/credentials, and a background check.
For More Information, Please Contact:
Phone: (219) 473-4328