Reading Specialist, Science of Reading Grant
Status: Full-time, Exempt (Salary), Benefits Eligible
Reports to: Program Director, Education
The Reading Specialist will implement the Lilly Science of Reading Grant through instruction of literacy courses at the graduate and undergraduate level as well as providing professional development to partner schools in the area of evidence-based literacy practices. This position will help pre-service and mentor teachers to building foundational knowledge of evidence-based practices and implement that knowledge successfully in the K-5 setting.
NOTE: This is a grant funded position through December 2026.
- Serve as instructor for two elementary literacy courses per semester
- Develop customized professional development for mentor teachers in local partner schools
- Lead professional development sessions for pre-service teachers, current teachers, and CCSJ faculty and staff as needed
- Participate in local educator conferences to promote evidence-based literacy practices
- Complete on-site observations at partner schools to ensure the alignment of practice with Science of Reading (SoR)
- Monitor department coursework for SoR alignment
- Communicate effectively with team members and partner schools
- Assist clinical team in pairing students with SoR aligned mentors
- Assist team with data management and analysis
- Maintain current teacher licensure and attend IDOE trainings as needed to keep current on licensure requirements in area of literacy
- Be a self-starter who can independently and creatively work toward meeting grant goals
- Masters degree in Education
- Current Indiana Professional Educator license
- Knowledge and experience implementing Science of Reading aligned best-practices for instruction and assessment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Skilled in using Microsoft applications, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience providing professional development
- Higher education experience
- Cover letter stating how your previous experience and qualifications match the position requirements
- Current CV or resume
CCSJ is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of typically underrepresented groups to apply. Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to the mission of CCSJ and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Calumet College of St. Joseph is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States, verification of education/credentials, and a background check.
For More Information, Please Contact:
Phone: (219) 473-4328