Tutor (Part-Time Pool)
Department: Academic Affairs, Student Success Center
Status: Part-Time, Hourly
Reports to: Director, Instructional Support Services
Application Deadline: This is an open continuous applicant pool
CCSJ is seeking part-time professional tutors to assist students with supplemental instructional support to help improve their academic capabilities while promoting independent learning and self-reliance. Tutors will help students build high level study skills that position them for academic success within a variety of degree/program areas.
Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate subject matter expertise and proficiency in high demand areas, currently:
- College-level math
- Provides academic assistance to assigned tutees, either in a group or individually;
- Liaises with instructors and works under the instructor’s direction to assist students;
- Helps students develop positive attitudes toward learning and studying and helps students develop a high level of motivation in academic areas;
- Assists students in achieving a better understanding of specific subject material and in improving academic capabilities in designated areas;
- Helps students refine the study skills necessary for academic success;
- Establishes and maintains rapport with the assigned students;
- Schedules tutoring appointments, oversees check-ins and -outs, maintains session notes and assessment data for each interaction;
- Utilizes the college’s center management system (Accudemia) to maintains records on all students receiving support including follow-up interactions and regular assessment practices;
- Provides evaluations and other reports as required by center management;
- Participates in professional development and training to increase competency in working with students.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college/university
- Prior experience in teaching or tutoring (at any level) or providing learning assistance support highly desirable
- Commitment to and experience in working with individuals from diverse backgrounds;
- Ability to interact and effectively communicate with persons of all educational levels and backgrounds in a structured team environment;
- Ability to provide services in a courteous and professional manner;
- Ability to tutor others in one or more academic disciplines;
- Ability to keep detailed and accurate records and to extract data from such records in various formats.
Current CV/resume and cover letter
CCSJ is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of typically underrepresented groups to apply. Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to the mission of CCSJ and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Calumet College of St. Joseph is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States, verification of education/credentials, and a background check.
For More Information, Please Contact:
Phone: (219) 473-4328