MASTER OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN PUBLIC SAFETY MANAGEMENT
Calumet College of St. Joseph is proud to offer credit for prior learning to SLEA recruits and graduates
Master of Public Administration
- Earn up to 9 credit hours with Northwestern Police Staff & Command and FBI National Academy
- Other executive/administrative training may also qualify
Bachelor of Science in Public Safety Management
- Earn up to 18 credit hours for Basic Academy completion
- Earn up to 66 credit hours for additional in-service training
- 5 of 7 general education requirements will be met; the remaining requirements are offered online
Grants and scholarships are available! For VA benefits, please contact Marlena Avalos at (219) 473-4212.
Conveniently Designed With You in Mind
Our accelerated programs and unique mirrored format empower you to complete your degree while attending to your demanding schedule.
We’re committed to supporting you and meeting your needs so you can successfully apply, enroll, graduate and thrive.
- A fully online format
- One night per week
- Daytime classes: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Evening classes: 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Receive credit for prior learning including basic academy, training and college coursework
About Our Programs
Master of Public Administration
Civil servants working in the public sector have faced numerous challenges over the past decade, whether it’s financial constraints, digital transformation, social change, or personal shifts. The Master of Public Administration (MPA) is designed to broaden your perspective and prepare you with the modern skills needed to initiate and influence change in your community. Students will begin the program seeking knowledge. They will graduate ready to lead.
The program prepares graduates to be prolific servant leaders of the public sector by integrating technical, analytical, communications and administrative skills. You will be challenged to learn about policy, procedures, leadership, service, intergovernmental operations, wellness and collaboration. Throughout the program, you will build efficacy, camaraderie, empowerment, and a deeper commitment to service.
The Master of Public Administration is an innovative and practitioner-oriented degree offering. The program complements and expands the institution’s historic commitment to addressing the educational need of individuals engaged in law enforcement, not-for-profit, municipality and other public sector fields. Structured as an accelerated adult-learning initiative, the MPA program removes the time and space barriers that often prevent working professionals from completing graduate-level education.
- No GMAT required
- One night a week, 22-month accelerated program
- Exceptional student support services
- Qualified faculty with experience in their fields
- Multiple financial aid options
Public Safety Management
The Bachelor of Science in Public Safety Management (PSM) prepares students who take pride in protecting and serving to advance into supervisory and leadership positions. Throughout the program, you will be exposed to the essential elements of public safety and expand your capability to meet the constant changes you will encounter in the workplace.
The 14-course program is structured in an accelerated format and is designed to create and educate progressive leaders to successfully and effectively manage cultural diversity in the workplace. Graduates will use their knowledge, skills and abilities to promote positive transformation in public safety as well as the broader community.
The program curriculum is competency-based and structured in an accelerated format.
- Public safety environment and organization
- Public safety laws and methods
- Leadership and crisis management
- Investigative and crime scene management
- Identity and financial crime management
- Criminal procedure and constitutional law
- Terrorism as a concept and tactic
We emphasize theory and practice while teaching critical thinking from a local through a global perspective.
Career options with a Master of Public Administration degree include, but are not limited to, work as:
- Executive Directors
- Operations Managers
- Program Managers
- Budget Analysts
- Project Managers
Career options with a Public Safety Management degree include, but are not limited to, work as:
- a Chief of Police
- a Fire Chief
- a Chief Security Officer
- a corporate security manager
- an anti-terrorism task force coordinator