On September 13, 2021, we celebrate the 70th birthday of Calumet College of St. Joseph
On July 6, 1951, the Administrative Council of Saint Joseph’s College Rensselaer, Indiana approved starting an extension campus in the Calumet Region. The first classes began on September 13, 1951. These evening classes were offered at Bishop Noll Institute. There were 128 students enrolled and 12 courses offered by priest faculty from Saint Joseph’s College and four lay people from the Chicago and Calumet areas.
From that small beginning seventy years ago, much has changed. From the 128 students first enrolled to nearly 12,000 alumni, from store-front campus in East Chicago, the College continues its mission. The commitment to helping people better their lives and the local communities through education has continued.
Sponsored by the Office of Mission and Ministry